Braised Chicken with Sun Dried Tomato Sausage
For the fullest flavor, cook this dish a day early and reheat it to serve. Not only does it keep well, it freezes beautifully. Try making a double batch, saving the leftovers for another meal.Read More
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup lour combined with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 links Aidells Sun-Dried Tomato Sausage (sliced into ½ inch rounds )
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 ounce 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- ounce Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375º
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and brown the chicken in batches on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Drain off all but a 2 tablespoons of oil from the pan.
- Add the onions and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the vinegar, scraping to loosen any brown bits. Add the stock, wine, tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil and cook for one minute. Return the chicken and sausage to the pan, turning to incorporate with the sauce. Add the salt and pepper, cover and bake for 30-45 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- To serve, transfer the chicken to a large platter and loosely tent with foil to keep warm. Return the Dutch oven to the stovetop and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the sauce has reduced by half. Pour the finished sauce over the chicken and garnish with chopped parsley.