Sausage Mini Skewers
If you cannot find fresh basil, you can leave it out, or substitute small arugula leaves. Be sure to set your broiler or grill to low to prevent the cheese and bread from burning before the sausage is heated through.Read More
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 12-ounce package (32 mini links) aidells sun-dried tomato minis
- 32 small basil leaves
- 1 pound provolone cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes (you need 32 cubes)
- 1 loaf french or italian bread, crusts removed and cut into ½-inch cubes (you need 32 cubes)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 32 ten-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Thread a tomato, a sausage mini, a basil leaf, a piece of cheese, and a bread cube onto a long skewer. Keep the ingredients close to the sharp end of the skewer. Continue this process until all of the ingredients are used.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, sugar and salt in a small bowl. While still whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until thoroughly emulsified.
- Brush the skewers with the vinegar and oil mixture and place on a preheated grill or broiler pan. Broil or grill on low heat for 2-3 minutes, turning once or twice, until the cheese is nicely melted, the bread is toasted and the sausages are heated through. Serve warm with the remaining vinaigrette.