This flavorful rice dish, based on Spanish paella or arroz con pollo, gets life and spice from the addition of Aidells Cajun Style Andouille.
- 1 pound cooked chicken thighs (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 4 ounces Aidells Tasso or smoked ham (cut into 1/2-inch dices)
- 4 Aidells Cajun Style Andouille links (sliced into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup green onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 pound medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large, high sided skillet or Dutch oven, over medium heat, sauté the sausage and Tasso until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, reserving the rendered fat.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion and celery until deep brown, about 30 minutes. Add the green onions, garlic, and bell peppers, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the cayenne, bay leaves, thyme, sage, marjoram and stock, bring to a boil, and stir in the rice. Cover and cook about 20-30 minutes until the rice is almost done. Stir in the chicken, sausage, tasso and shrimp. Cover and cook another 10 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed, the shrimp is opaque and the rice is fully cooked but firm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.