Sausage Minestrone Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 15-ounce cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded kale or chard
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta
- 1 package Aidells Italian Style Sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, zucchini and potatoes and cook, stirring until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the stock and tomatoes and bring to simmer.
- Simmer until the vegetables are almost cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale or chard, beans and pasta and simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage and basil and cook until the sausage is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with parmesan cheese.