Zesty Italian Style Meatball Subs
A quick and east favorite, done the Aidells way.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 whole Italian Plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons basil (finely chopped)
- 1 pound Zesty Italian Style with Mozzarella Cheese Meatballs
- salt, sugar and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 crusty Italian sandwich rolls, sliced horizontally
- 4 ounces provolone cheese (sliced)
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté one minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Use the back of a spoon to break up the tomatoes as they cook. Simmer 5-8 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add the meatballs, cover and cook 5 minutes, until the meatballs are heated through. Stir in the basil and season the sauce with salt, sugar and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, lightly toast the sandwich rolls. Place 3-4 meatballs in each bun and top with sauce and cheese. Place the sandwiches under a preheated broiler for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is just melted. Serve warm.