Sausage Spiked Dinner Rolls
For a different twist on the same dough and preparation, twist each of the twelve pieces of dough into breadsticks.
- 2 cups warm milk (100-110 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- 3-5 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Aidells Artichoke and Garlic sausage links, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter (divided in half)
- Place the milk in a large mixing bowl, stir in the yeast and sugar or honey. Stir in about 2 cups of the flour then stir in the salt.
- Add the sausage, cheese and half the melted butter.
- Continue adding flour just until the dough forms a soft slightly sticky dough.
- Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead, adding only as much flour as you need to keep the dough from sticking to your hands or work board. Knead for approximately 10 minutes until the dough is smooth, velvety and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled container, cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape into rolls. Place the rolls on an oiled baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for another 15-20 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, slash the top of the rolls, brush with the remaining butter and bake for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving