Habanero Sausage Burgers
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt to taste
- 4 Aidells Habanero & Green Chile sausage links (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 pound ground beef (15% fat) or turkey (not lean)
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 6 large hamburger buns
- 6 canned mild green chilies
- 6 ounces Monterey cheese (grated)
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, lime zest, chipotle chilies and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Finely chop the sausage in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the ground meat, onions, salt, and pepper. Stir just until blended. Form into six patties.
- Prepare barbecue or grill for medium-high heat. Grill hamburgers to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare (if you are using ground turkey, grill until fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes per side). In the last minute of cooking time, top each burger with cheese. Grill the buns until golden.
- Spread one side of each bun with the mayonnaise. Place a burger on each bottom half and top with a green chile. Cover with top halves of buns and serve.