Corn Bread Sausage Bake
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 links Aidells Organic Cajun Style Andouille Sausage
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/2 cup corn kernals (thawed if frozen)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces chedder cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the sausage until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, cumin and chile powder and continue to cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, tomatoes and chicken stock or broth. Pour mixture into a 9x13” glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Sift the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, stir together the melted butter, shortening and eggs, and add the milk. Add to the dry ingredients, and mix until well blended and smooth. Stir in the cheese.
- Spoon the corn bread batter over the sausage mixture and bake until the corn bread is golden, about 20 minutes.