Black Bean & Sausage Soup
Quick to prepare, this soup is both hearty and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 links Aidells Habanero Green Chile or Cajun Style Andouille Sausage (sliced)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, pepper flakes and cumin, and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add stock and beans and simmer 15 minutes. Lightly mash the beans with the back of a wooden spoon to slightly thicken the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.