Sausage and Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled (cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 8 Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage links (cut into 1/2-inch slices1)
- 1 cup frozen petit peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- hot sauce, to taste
- Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water. Drain, return to the pan and stir over medium heat until excess moisture evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and syrup and mash until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a buttered deep pie dish. Spoon mashed sweet potatoes over the sausage mixture, using a spoon to smooth the top. Bake until heated through and potatoes begin to brown around edges, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.