Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash
The squash can be stuffed a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Add 5-10 minutes to the baking time if the squash is cold.Read More
- 2 butternut squash, about 1 pound each
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch each cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 links Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage (finely chopped )
- 1 small green apple (peeled, cored and finely chopped )
- 8 cooked chestnuts (finely chopped)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and fibrous material.
- Melt the butter and stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of this mixture to the hollow center of each squash and brush it onto the cut surface of the squash. Reserve the rest. Bake the squash, uncovered, cut side up, for about 40 minutes, or until the flesh is partially cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. In a large bowl mix the sausage, apple and chestnuts. Remove the squash from the oven, and pour the liquid from the hollow of each half into this mixture. Scoop out some of the partially cooked flesh from the squash shells to expand the cavity. Chop this roughly and mix into the stuffing. Taste for salt and pepper. Pile equal amounts of the stuffing into the shells. Generously drizzle the remaining melted butter and maple syrup over the squash. Cover the squash with aluminum foil and bake 35-45 minutes.