Chicken & Apple Sausage Fried Rice
- 4 cups leftover cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 4 links Aidells Chicken & Apple Sausage (diced)
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts (diced)
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots (diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Soy sauce and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- Break up the rice into a sieve and rinse with hot water to separate any clumps. Drain and set aside.
- In a wok or sauté pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Pour in the egg and swirl the pan to create a thin sheet. Cook until set and then remove from the pan. Allow to cool and cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat until smoking. Add the sausage and onion to the pan and cook until the sausage is brown, about 5 minutes. Add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, celery and carrots and continue to stir-fry until the vegetables are just beginning to soften. Add the rice and season to taste with soy sauce and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and add the bean sprouts, peas and mushrooms and stir to combine. Continue to cook until any liquid is evaporated and the rice is nice and hot. Remove from heat and stir in the cooked egg.