Bean Soup with Sausage
- 2 cups navy beans, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 stalks of celery
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 links, Aidells Chicken & Apple Sausage, cut into ½ inch slices
- 9 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat, add the oil and sauté the celery, carrots, onion and garlic until beginning to soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the soaked beans, sausage, stock, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, then cover and simmer until the beans are soft, about 1 to 1½ hours. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to slightly thicken the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.