Potato and Sausage Gratin
This is a great buffet or pot luck dish. It can be assembled a day in advance, refrigerated and baked the next day.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (scrubbed and thinly sliced)
- 2 Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage links (cut into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté 3-4 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes more. Add the milk and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook 3-5 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken. Heavily season with salt and pepper.
- In a buttered baking dish, layer the potatoes, sausage and milk mixture. Top with the toasted breadcrumbs and bake for 30-45 minutes until the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.