Lager Braised Sauerkraut and Cabbage
- 4 Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage links, diced
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 pounds thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 carrot, split and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup dark lager
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- salt to taste
- In a large non-reactive pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté the sausage until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, onions, and carrot. Cover and cook until the vegetables begin to wilt, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sauerkraut and all the remaining ingredients except the salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1½ -2 hours, until everything is quite tender. Add more beer if needed to keep the vegetables moist during cooking.
- Season to taste with salt.