Great Hungarian Goulash
- 6 Aidells Cajun Style Andouille Sausage links (sliced into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat ( cut into 2-inch cubes)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 onions (sliced thin)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers or fresh pimentos (thinly sliced)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 6 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock
- 1 cup dark lager
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 pound sauerkraut (drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Brown the sausage in the olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or pan for 5 minutes. Remove and reserve. Add the meat to the pot. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, and brown on all sides for 5 minutes. Remove and reserve.
- Add the onions, cover the pot, and cook until the onions are brown, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, red bell pepper, and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the paprika and stir until the vegetables are well coated. Add the stock, lager, caraway seeds, bay leaf, marjoram, tomato purée and sauerkraut.
- Bring everything to a boil and reduce the heat. Add the meat and one quarter of the sausage. Simmer, uncovered, until the meat is tender, about 1 ¾ hours. Add the remaining sausage, and cook 15 minutes more. Degrease the sauce and stir in the sour cream. Serve with noodles.