Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions
- 2 pounds butternut squashes (peeled and cut into 2-inch cub)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 links Aidells Maple & Smoked Bacon Breakfast Links (finely diced)
- 1 cup crème Fraiche
- In a 6-quart heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat and stir in the onions and squash. Sauté until the onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of stock, cover, reduce the heat to very low and sweat the vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup (if you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a food processor or blender, but you must wait for the soup to completely cool before you puree).
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the remaining oil and sauté the sausage until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Keep warm.
- Reheat the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls. Spoon 3 tablespoons of sausage in the center of each bowl and top with a dollop of crème fraiche.