Beer and Onion Soup
A savory fall treat.
- 1/4 cup olive oil (more if needed)
- 3 large onions (sliced thin (6-8 cups) )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 bottles dark lager
- 6 cups beef or rich chicken stock
- 2 bay leafs
- Pinch allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 links Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage (chopped)
- In a large soup pot heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and cover the pot. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until light brown, about 30 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the croutons. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the onions are quite and the broth is infused with the onion flavor. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, garnish with the croutons.