Almond and Sausage Stuffed Onions
Enjoy tender onions filled with sausage and almonds for a delicious treat.
- 6 medium onions (about 3 inches in diameter)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 4 Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage (chopped)
- 1 cup cubed day-old bread
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted )
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Cut a thin slice off the root end of each onion. Cut a ¼-inch slice off the opposite end. Carefully remove the center of each onion with a small knife, leaving a ½ inch shell (at least 2 rings). Arrange the onion shells in an ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- In a large bowl, toss the almonds, sausage, bread, thyme, butter salt and pepper. Fill each onion shell with the stuffing. Spoon any remaining stuffing on top of the onions and pour apple juice around them. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until tender and golden another 20 minutes.