The easiest way to a savory breakfast: Assemble it the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning!
- 6 slices of white bread*
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 package Aidells Chicken & Apple (4 links) (chopped)
- 1 can green chilies (4 oz) (drained and chopped)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- The night before:
- Sauté the sausage for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lightly butter one side of each bread slice and place bread butter-side down in a 9×13 baking dish. The bottom should be covered with no gaps.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the bread. Spread the sautéed sausage on top of cheese and top with the green chilies.
- Whisk eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Add milk and seasonings and whisk to combine well.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture to keep spices mixed well while pouring evenly on top of the assembled casserole.
- Cover well and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning:
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Bake casserole uncovered for 50-60 minutes until center is set and outside edges are golden brown. Let it cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.