Kale with Roasted Garlic with Gruyere Cheese Sausage, Shallots and Capers
A BRUCE AIDELLS SIGNATURE RECIPE
This recipe is great as a substantial side dish at special holiday gatherings. It goes particularly well with standing rib roast or turkey. But it is so quick and simple to prepare, you can make it for any meal.
- 3-4 bunches of kale, center ribs and stems removed and discarded, well washed, cut crosswise into large pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 Aidells Roasted Garlic & Gruyere Cheese Smoked Sausages
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot (4 quarts) of salted water to a boil. Stir in the kale and cook until tender, about 10 minutes or more, depending on the variety of kale you are using. Drain and cool in cold water. Drain well, gently pressing out most of the liquid. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until they're soft but have not begun to color, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Stir the capers and cook one minute more. Stir in the kale and cheese and cook until the kale is warm and the cheese melts, stirring from time to time, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.