Tortilla, Vegetable and Habanero Sausage Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 onions, chopped
- 8 links, Aidells Habanero and Green Chile Sausage links, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounces can chopped tomatoes
- 16 ounces can garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 Anaheim chiles, fire roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, fire roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups corn
- juice from 3 limes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the sausage and cook to brown slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the onion and cook until translucent and soft. Pour in the stock, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil and then decrease to a simmer. Add the chiles, red pepper, garlic, zucchini, corn and lime juice. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and let your guests add their own garnishes.
- 3 cups corn chips
- 2 cups jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- To roast a pepper:
- Place the pepper on a gas burner on the stove or under the broiler. Char on all sides. Place in a paper bag to steam for at least 15 minutes. Scrape the skins off, seed and chop.