Portobello Mushroom Sausage & Cheese Manicotti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup diced, part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 links aidells portobello mushroom sausage, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces dried manicotti shells (8-10)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cook manicotti in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Transfer the shells to a plate to cool.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the red wine, tomatoes, red pepper and basil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Stir in the sausage and season to taste with pepper.
- Spread about ¼ cup of sauce along the bottom of an oiled 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Using a spoon, fill each pasta shell with about 1/3 cup cheese-sausage mixture. Arrange the stuffed manicotti in a single layer in the prepared dish and cover with the remaining sauce. Bake uncovered until heated through and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.