Moroccan Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage links (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dried aprictos (chopped)
- 1/4 cup dates (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sausage and cook, stirring, for another 3-4 minutes until the sausage begins to brown slightly. Add the apricots, dates and cinnamon. Remove from the heat and stir in the bread crumbs and chicken stock, season to taste with salt and pepper. Set the stuffing aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Remove the tenders (the strip of meat) from the back of each chicken breast and save for another use. Gently loosen the skin on the chicken breast, creating a pocket. Season the chicken under the skin with salt and pepper, then fill each pocket with the room-temperature stuffing, patting to even it out. Season both sides of the stuffed chicken breast generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet on medium heat. Add place the chicken breasts to the pan, skin side down. Cook until the skin side is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts and place the pan in the 400º oven. Bake for 6-7 minutes, until the center of each breast reads 160º-165º on a meat thermometer.