Lentil and Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup French green lentils
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 Aidells pesto sausage links
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, chicken stock, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- When the lentils are just about tender, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and brown sausage on all sides. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Stir the sausage into the soup. Stir in the vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.