Barley & Mushroom Sausage Salad
A perfect side salad for picnics, this dish is a great make-ahead recipe as it tastes even better the next day.
- 2 cups pearl barley
- 1/4 cup olive oil (divided)
- 4 links Aidells Portobello Mushroom Sausage, sliced
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves oughly chopped arugula
- 1/2 cup hopped green onions
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ounce salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the barley and boil 25-30 minutes, until tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add half the oil and sauté the sausage until beginning to brown. Add the mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes more. Add the arugula and cook just until wilted. Add to the bowl with the barley and toss with the remaining olive oil, the onions, tomatoes, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.