Heart Happy Sausage and Pineapple French Toast
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces fat-free cream cheese (room temperature)
- 8 ounces can crushed pineapple (drained)
- 4 Aidells Mango Sausage links (chopped)
- 12 pieces thickly sliced white bread (we like Texas Toast)
- In small bowl, beat egg substitute, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla; set aside.
- In separate bowl, blend cream cheese, pineapple and sausage. Spread cream cheese mixture on 6 of the bread slices and top with another slice of bread.
- Dip each sandwich into egg mixture saturating both sides. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet lined with a heavily oiled piece or parchment paper. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve with warm maple or apricot syrup.