Flatbread with Chicken & Apple Sausage, Mozzarella, and Asparagus
Enjoy as an appetizer with friends or serve larger slices as an entree.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (divided )
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Aidells Chicken apple sausages, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 cup very thinly sliced asparagus
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Combine warm water and yeast in a large bowl, let stand 5 minutes. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Add about 1 1/4 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture, stir until blended. Turn dough out on to a floured surface. Kneed dough (an electric mixer can be used) until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes) add enough of remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (the dough will feel sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees fahrenheit), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If an indention remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add thyme, Aidells Chicken Apple Smoked Sausage, and garlic to pan; saute 5 minutes or until sausage is browned. Stir in pepper.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place a baking sheet in oven for 15 minutes to preheat. Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Stretch dough into a 10-inch circle on a floured surface. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal on preheated baking sheet, and place dough on sheet. If using a sauce, spread thin layer evenly over dough then spread sausage mixture evenly over dough. Arrange thinly vertically sliced asparagus over sausage mixture; sprinkle evenly with shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. Bake flatbread at 475 degrees fahrenheit for 10 minutes, (6 minutes for pre-made crust) or until crust is golden. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Cut flatbread into 8 wedges.